Volunteer Engagement Toolbox
Volunteers across the state of North Carolina extend our outreach exponentially, making it possible for us to reach citizens in all of our communities. Volunteers are vital partners in 4-H Youth Development, Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteer programs, Extension Community Associations, Extension Master Foods programs, and our Extension State Advisory Leadership System. The contributions of our volunteers profoundly impact the lives of North Carolina citizens. The research-based, learn-by-doing model that N.C. Cooperative Extension uses provides adults and youth perfect opportunities to engage in meaningful volunteering that is essential to our outreach across the state.
Extension Organizational Development endeavors to help N.C. Cooperative Extension professionals expand their knowledge of volunteerism and develop their skills as volunteer coordinators. For researched based information and opportunities to learn more about volunteer engagement, start with these great resources:
- The International Journal of Volunteer Administration
- The National Extension Conference on Volunteerism
- North Carolina Association of Volunteer Administration
- The eXtension Foundation
- The Journal of Extension
Here are some great research articles from The Journal of Extension to get you started:
- Engaging Extension Master Gardener Volunteers Online
- Engaging 4-H Volunteers Online
- How do I get started?
- Removing the Tension from Extension
- Lessons from Outstanding Extension Agents
Do you have a particular volunteer group in mind? You will find many useful tools for working with Extension volunteers by focusing on your particular volunteer group. Each volunteer group in Extension has created its own job descriptions, recruiting materials, applications, orientation processes, training requirements, recognition traditions, evaluations, templates, and more.
- Extension Master Food Volunteer Portal
- Extension Master Gardener Portal
- 4-H Volunteers
- Extension Master Gardener Volunteers
- Extension & Community Association Volunteers
- Extension Master Foods Volunteers
- Advisory Leadership System
Couldn’t find what you need? Please contact us or try Volunteer Engagement for more information.